Services: How Strong Is Your Book Idea?
An opportunity to have an expert evaluate your book idea and provide honest and constructive advice on whether your idea is strong enough to appeal to a publisher or agent.
As an ambitious writer, with the seed of an idea, you'll need to know how to nurture and coax it into a full-length, compelling narrative. Writers & Artists have assembled a panel of experts with comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the publishing industry, to help you understand the individual challenges you must overcome to convert your spark of inspiration in to a convincing and engaging full-length book.
An editor and literary agent will review your work and provide an honest appraisal of the strength of your idea, the direction you are taking and its commercial viability. Together, they will set you specific, well-defined goals and a solid path to follow to help improve your chances of publishing success.
If you have notebooks packed with story ideas, but need advice on how to write a book, how to take the first step on a daunting journey and how to ensure success at the end, How Strong is Your Book Idea? is for you.
Praise for this service
"This was fantastic feedback and exactly what I needed. The problems I knew I had were highlighted, and a few points I wasn't sure about were explained... my work is still in the first draft stage, having the book's idea described with words such as strong and cracking is an incredible boost. I cannot thank you enough." Lin Churchill
"The service was very informative and helpful with constructive criticism" Jack Carey
"Very useful and constructive." Rachael Woods
"The report gave me invaluable feedback on what I need to work on to strengthen the idea" Andrea Barker
"I would recommend this service as it's coming from "people in the know" who are going to tell it like it is" Nikki Robinson
Features & benefits
- Two experts (editor and literary agent) with relevant experience of your genre will evaluate your idea.
- You will receive a two-page report of approximately 1,000 words.
- Recommendations on how to take your novel idea forward.
- A report which tells you how good your book idea is and whether it is marketable or not.
- An early critique on your idea which will help you direct your energies.
- Honest appraisal that can save wasted investment in an idea without commercial merit.
- Confidence and motivation to continue with the project (or time-saving advice to explore fresh possibilities). Quick feedback within 14 days of submission.
Who will review your idea?
An editor and literary agent will be assigned to your work.Once you have provided us with key information about your work, such as genre and target audience, we allocate two experts with appropriate skill-sets.
The editor will examine the idea from an editorial perspective.
They will have experience of the proposed genre, as the style required for literary fiction differs markedly from, say, a business title. Their deep understanding of the ways in which writers work is complemented by an innate feel for the challenges of turning a concept into a publishable book.
The literary agent will assess your project for commercial viability.
Using their know-how of what sells through which channels, they will form a view about your best chances of launching a successful book, who might stock it and how it could be marketed.
What you need to submit
We have devised a submission process that is simple yet effective. All you need to do is to follow the apply link, fill in the application form and upload the following files when asked:
- A 1-2 page synopsis (download the template). Please provide as much information as possible.
- Your first chapter (which must be no longer than 5,000 words)
Please make sure the pages are numbered (and named, where appropriate) and use a standard typeface such as Times New Roman in 12pt and double-spaced. The accepted file types are .doc, .docx, .rtf, and .pdf.
How it works
After application and payment, a confirmation email will be sent to your email address.
An editor and literary agent will be assigned to your work. They will both review your work independently and then share findings to draw together a conclusion.
They will send you their report (two pages in length; size 12 font) to review within 14 days of purchase. The report covers:
- An evaluation of your book idea.
- An honest appraisal of the commercial viability of the book.
- A recommendation on how to take your book idea forward including possible areas to expand or develop and where to focus.
Please note that all the information about the purchased service and its status will be in the My Services section on your dashboard, which can be accessed after logging in.
Booking & Payment
- The price for the service is only £119.99*, which will be taken at the time you book.
- Please note that we cannot accept submissions which do not comply with our criteria.
- If you would like further information, call the Writers & Artists team on 0207 631 5993.
*This price is inclusive of VAT