Services: First Draft Review
An opportunity for writers in the early stages of their writing career to have their personal style identified and evaluated and to learn how their grasp of their craft is supporting their story so far.
For all but the most prolific writer, the process of laying down the actual words can be fraught with insecurity. First drafts rarely fly perfect from the fingers. For many authors, having a trusted someone to turn to as their work evolves is both welcome and necessary.
This is where First Draft Review from Writers & Artists comes in. The ambitious writer seeks objective input, preferably from someone who understands the process of taking a novel concept and clothing it in the best possible language.
This service enables you to submit a healthy tranche of 12,000-32,000 words to the scrutiny of a highly accomplished editor. They will respond with a tailored report that evaluates your progress, style and structure.
Praise for this service
"The feedback I got on my children's story was very detailed and I am very grateful to the experts who read them. I felt a kindness towards me as a writer. which is very encouraging." Fiona Cobb
"This service helped me with the key concerns I had about my writing and the discussion led to easier decision-making about the way forward. The report provided useful practical support and tips." Marianne Marshall
Features and benefits
- A genre-specific editorial expert evaluates your writing style.
- A 3-5 page report within just 21 days.
- A phone call of up to 30 minutes following the report.
- A report that covers the strengths of the narrative, the pace, proportion of dialogue and much more.
- An opportunity to have your personal style of writing identified and evaluated early on.
- Bespoke constructive advice from the experts in good time and at a fair price.
- Informative and supportive critique on your progress.
- Confidence and motivation to continue with the project.
- Honest appraisal of strengths and weaknesses.
- Creation of a potentially fruitful relationship with the editor going forward.
Who will review the draft of your novel?
Once you have provided us with background information on the first draft of your novel, we will match you with an experienced editor with in-depth experience of the genre and the market your novel is targeting.
- Your editor will understand the precise requirements for the writing style and structure of your chosen genre.
- They will havemany years experience of supporting writers and helping them craft their work to make it the best it can possibly be.
- They are skilled motivators and mentors who will improve your writing and enable you to progress.
How it works
After your application and payment, a confirmation email will be sent to you. An Editor will be assigned to your work and he/she will read through your 1-2 page synopsis and your manuscript. They will then follow this up with a report that covers:
- A genre-specific evaluation of your style.
- Informative and supportive critique.
- Honest appraisal of the strengths and weaknesses of your draft.
Please note that all the information about the purchased service and its status will be in the 'My services' section on your dashboard, which can be accessed after logging in.
Booking & Payment
£180* for a manuscript of 12,000-19,999 words
£360* for 20,000-32,000 words.
The cost of the service will be taken at the time you book.
Please note that we cannot accept submissions which do not comply with our criteria. You must ensure that you have filled in the Writers' Form, submitted a synopsis of 1-2 pages and a sample chapter. If you supply more than 32,000 words, we will still only be able to review the first 32,000.
*This price is inclusive of VAT
Your report will be delivered within 21 days.