The Desperate Literature Prize for Short Fiction is for previously unpublished short stories under 2000 words.
This year's judging panel is comprised of Ottessa Moshfegh, Derek Owusu, and Isabel Waidner and we've added even more to the prize kitty this year, with an increased winners package, a second residency, a spot at the Georgia literary festival and 30 sponsored entries.
– €750 (two prizes available)
All Shortlisted Writers:
– Will be published in a truly smashing, limited edition book published by ourselves truly and launched at the Desperate Literature Short Fiction Prize Salon, Madrid
– Publication with one of our partner journals: Helter Skelter, The London Magazine, Open Pen, Prototype, Hotel, Gorse, Kill Your Darlings, Minor Literature[s] and The Second Shelf (women only)
– Participation in Desperate Literature Prize Salons (Salons, no less) at Desperate Literature, Madrid; Burley Fisher, London; Typewronger Books, Edinburgh; and The Second Shelf, London (women only)†
†Covid-dependent, please read
our eligibility and conditions for more details.
One Shortlisted Winner:
– Will be offered a spot at the Tbilisi International Festival of Literature, along with a 10 day residency at the Writers’ House of Georgia for a 10-day residency. A travel stipend of €400 will be provided
For more information, you can see our main prize page.