Our 'Beat the Rejection' consultation offers the unique opportunity of a 30-minute consultation with a literary agent to discuss the opening of your manuscript and accompanying submission documents.
Whether you're just beginning your search for a prospective agent and would like some advice before sending your manuscript out on submission, or you've received a round of rejection letters and would like an assessment of what to do next, this service provides an invaluable opportunity to receive dedicated feedback. This means hints and tips on how improvements can be made to your covering letter, synopsis and opening chapters, as well as discussion around the wider context of where your book sits within the current marketplace and other steps to consider if your book is to have the best possible chance of gaining representation*.
*Please note: your consultation does not, in any way, guarantee an offer of representation will be made by the agent.
How it works:
Read our short guide to the Beat the Rejection Consultation process.
This service provides the following:
- A 30-minute one-to-one consultation (either by phone/Skype or face-to-face) with a literary agent dedicated to your book
- Expert feedback on how you can improve your submission package
- Inspiration and encouragement
- Advice on 'targeting' as well as editorial pointers
What you need to submit
Ahead of purchase you are required to select an appropriate agent, and also a date and time for the session based on the agent's availability calendar.
After you have purchased a Beat the Rejection consultation, you are required to upload a synopsis, covering letter, and the first three chapters (equivalent to 10,000 words) of your manuscript.
Your synopsis should be no longer than a single page of A4. Please read our Writing a Synopsis guide. If you're writing non-fiction then you should upload a chapter outline in place of the synopsis. This should be no more than 5 pages. Please read our Writing a Chapter Outline guide for more information.
Your submission documents are to be uploaded via the 'Services in Progress' area of your W&A dashboard.
Pricing and next steps
Access the 'Services in Progress' area of your W&A dashboard to upload your submission documents.
Your consultation cannot go ahead – and will need to be rearranged – if your documents are not uploaded at least one working week in advance of the session.
If you need to make changes to any of the documents you have submitted, please notify W&A Admin via in-site messenger or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Accessible to All
It’s of real importance to Writers & Artists that our editing services, events and writing courses remain accessible to all.
- As part of our accessibility scheme for 2021, Writers & Artists are pleased to be able to offer financial assistance for up to two Beat the Rejection Consultations. Please visit our bursaries page for further information about how to apply.
- Bursary applications for 2021 must be submitted by no later than Sunday 5th December.
- Please note that payment instalment plans are available for all W&A events, writing courses and editing services. Contact W&A Admin on email@example.com so that we can find a payment schedule that works for you.