Every book needs a great plot, one that pulls in a reader and refuses to let go. But a gripping storyline is nothing without good pacing. The way in which a novel unfolds is the key to keeping your reader's attention right up to the very last page.
Join author Femi Kayode for this essential masterclass on Pace & Plot, an event that makes up part of The Writing Process, a series in collaboration with Book Aid International. Through a combination of practical advice, discussion, and writing exercises, Femi will cover everything from grabbing hold of the spark of an idea to how to create a full plan, leading you to understand the structure of your story and helping you to ensure that your emotional and narrative beats make an impact on your reader.
Copies of Femi's book, Lightseekers, will be available for attendees to purchase at an exclusive event price via our independent bookshop partner Maldon Books.
It is no longer possible to book onto this event
Femi Kayode has spent the last two decades in advertising. In fits and starts. In between, he was a Packard Gates Fellow in Film at the University of Southern California and a Gates Fellow in International Health at the University of Washington. He also managed to build an impressive resume on prime-time television by creating, writing and developing several award-winning TV dramas.
He recently completed an MA in Crime Fiction at the University of East Anglia, where his novel Lightseekers won the Little, Brown / UEA Crime Fiction Award.
Lightseekers is his first novel and the beginning of a series of books based on the investigations of Dr Philip K. Talwo. He lives in Namibia with his wife, two sons and two overly friendly dogs.
The workshop fee of £25 (incl. VAT) is payable in full online. A percentage of all ticket sales will go directly to Book Aid International.
This is a live online event, which will be presented using video conferencing software so attendees will need internet access to attend. In the week leading up to the event, W&A Admin will provide all registered attendees with joining instructions.
Event materials will be made available to attendees for a time-limited period after the event at the author's discretion.
Copies of Femi's book will be available to purchase via Maldon Books, our independent bookshop partner. All attendees will receive a unique discount code via email from the W&A team to redeem against their book purchase.
If you would like to book all four masterclasses, you can do this at a special combined price of £75.
Please note that payment instalment plans are available for all W&A events, writing courses and editing services. Contact W&A Admin on email@example.com so that we can find a payment schedule that works for you.
Accessible to All
It’s of real importance to Writers & Artists that our events and courses remain accessible to all.
- Writers & Artists has made up to five bursary places available for this event as part of our accessibility scheme. Please visit our bursaries page for further information about how to apply. All bursary applications must have been submitted for consideration by Sunday 29th August.
- At the author’s discretion, event materials will be made available to attendees after the masterclass.
- A link to a recording of the masterclass will be circulated after the event. This will be made available to event attendees only, and for a time-limited period.
- This event will include written text and visuals. Please contact us in advance so that we can make arrangements to be sure all documents appear in a format that works for you.
- If you’d like to attend but have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility, then please email AccessWA@bloomsbury.com