Voice can sound like a scary, abstract word for writers. But it needn't be. Voice is something every writer has. It's simply about finding out who you are and the unique way in which you – and only you – can tell your story.
In this masterclass, which makes up part of The Writing Process, a series of events in collaboration with Book Aid International, author Abi Daré looks at how writers can develop their unique writing voice. From sentence structure and tone, to establishing mood and atmosphere as well as creating distinct voices for each one of your characters, you'll leave this workshop with tools that can be applied to your own writing and help create a strong narrative.
Copies of Abi's book, The Girl with the Louding Voice, will be available for attendees to purchase at an exclusive event price via our independent bookshop partner Maldon Books.
It is no longer possible to book onto this event
Abi Daré grew up in Lagos, Nigeria. She studied law at the University of Wolverhampton and has an M.Sc. in International Project Management from Glasgow Caledonian University. Keen to improve her writing, Abi completed an MA in Creative Writing at Birkbeck University of London, achieving a Distinction. Her first novel, The Girl with the Louding Voice, won The Bath Novel Award in 2018 and was selected as a finalist in The Literary Consultancy Pen Factor competition in 2018. Abi lives in Essex with her husband and two children.
The workshop fee of £25 (incl. VAT) is payable in full online. A percentage of all ticket sales will go directly to Book Aid International.
This is a live online event, which will be presented using video conferencing software so attendees will need internet access to attend. In the week leading up to the event, W&A Admin will provide all registered attendees with joining instructions.
Event materials will be made available to attendees for a time-limited period after the event at the author's discretion.
Copies of Abi's book will be available to purchase via Maldon Books, our independent bookshop partner. All attendees will receive a unique discount code via email from the W&A team to redeem against their book purchase.
If you would like to book all four masterclasses, you can do this at a special combined price of £75.
Please note that payment instalment plans are available for all W&A events, writing courses and editing services. Contact W&A Admin on email@example.com so that we can find a payment schedule that works for you.
Accessible to All
It’s of real importance to Writers & Artists that our events and courses remain accessible to all.
- Writers & Artists has made up to five bursary places available for this event as part of our accessibility scheme. Please visit our bursaries page for further information about how to apply. All bursary applications must have been submitted for consideration by Sunday 29th August.
- At the author’s discretion, event materials will be made available to attendees after the masterclass.
- A link to a recording of the masterclass will be circulated after the event. This will be made available to event attendees only, and for a time-limited period.
- This event will include written text and visuals. Please contact us in advance so that we can make arrangements to be sure all documents appear in a format that works for you.
- If you’d like to attend but have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility, then please email AccessWA@bloomsbury.com